Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Vegan Fried Un-Chicken

Continuing in my comfort food theme, I needed something to serve with the Creamy Crock Pot Red Potatoes, because let's face it, as yummy as they are, they aren't a meal all on their own.  The Un-Chicken fit my desire for comfort very well.  When I was a child, we'd travel to my grandmother's house every Sunday afternoon, and every Sunday evening for dinner we'd have fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and chicken gravy.  Comforting sure, but not very good for you, and also there's that whole dead bird issue...

If, like me, you don't have vegetarian chicken bouillon powder on hand (because I can't find it around here anywhere!), then the first thing you're going to want to do is head on over to the Vegan Feast Kitchen and make up a batch of Bryanna's Chicken-Style Broth Powder.  Even if you do live where you can find the packaged bullion powder, I'd suggest giving Bryanna's a try.  It's far more economical, and it's GOOD!


Vegan Fried Un-Chicken
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup TVP
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 2 TBSP vegetarian chicken bouillon powder
  • 1 cup instant mashed potatoes, dry
  • 1 1/3 cups finely crushed corn flakes.  You can crush your cereal in your favorite cereal crushing method.  A food processor or blender both work well.  However, I crushed mine in a plastic bag with a plain Jane rolling pin.  Less dishes that way.

Directions:

1.  In a large bowl, dissolve the broth powder in the boiling water.

2.  Add TVP and soak for ten minutes.


3.  Add instant potato flakes, and mix well with hands.  You have to get messy here.  You can't mix this with a spoon.  You've got to get in there with your hands, squish it through your fingers, make it into a big cohesive sticky/doughy mass.

4.  Mix in salt and pepper to taste.

5.  Dampen hands and form into four equal sized patties.


6.  Lay crushed corn flakes on a plate.

7.  Dip patties into corn flakes, pressing gently to make them stick.  You may have to slightly dampen patties if the corn flakes aren't sticking well enough.  I just spritzed mine with a spray bottle of water.


8.  Heat a small amount of olive oil (just enough to cover the bottom of your pan) over medium heat in a large heavy frying pan.

9.  Lay patties in oil in a single layer.


10.  Fry patties until crispy, turning several times.  Turn very carefully, as they are slightly fragile.  I found it helpful to use two spatulas--one to put under the patty and one to help nudge it over.


These can be made into smaller nugget shapes for dipping.  You can also bake them in a 350° oven for 15 minutes per side.  Just be sure to mist both sides with olive oil before putting them into the oven!  I use my handy dandy Misto for this.

These are really just a base, and there's a lot you could do with them.  You could add Italian seasonings to the patty mix and use them for chicken Parmesan.  You could add a splash of soy sauce to the patties and cook in sesame oil, then serve over Asian type noodles.  You could fry smaller sized nuggets, coated with sesame seeds for sesame chicken.  You can try different breading:  crushed crackers, crushed croûtons, seasoned bread crumbs.  Experiment and have fun!

I believe I've mentioned that I really don't enjoy cooking, so I'm always hesitant to try something new.  It makes me angsty to put effort into doing something I don't especially enjoy and then have no one like the result.  This wasn't one of those instances.  Even Drew liked these and proclaimed that I can make them any time!  Next time I'm definitely going to bake them, and I think I'll try tossing a bit of egg replacer into the mix to help them stick together a bit better.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...