Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Laura's Healthy No-Bake Breakfast Energy Bars

Whew.  That's a long name.  I didn't think it would be kosher to just call them Laura Bars, though, because that's kinda taken, even if they do spell it wrong!  Anyway, my mother recently sent some Rice Krispy Treats, and I was immediately reminded that they were my favorite childhood treat.  I never wanted a birthday cake; I wanted Rice Krispy Treats.  I'm much wiser now, and I realize that they are nutritionally devoid of ... well, everything.  There's not a single redeeming quality in a Rice Krispy Treat.  Not one.

This got my mind whirring.  Surely I could make some sort of comparable treat that was much much better for me.  What I ended up with didn't resemble the original inspiration in the least.  In fact, the only thing in common ended up being cereal, and it wasn't even the same cereal.  However, my bar is full of healthy yummy things, and it makes a great breakfast on the go or pre-gym snack.  Now all it needs is a shorter name!

Laura's Healthy No-Bake Breakfast Energy Bars

Ingredients:
  • 7 cups puffed whole wheat cereal.  This does not have to be an expensive endeavor.  I used the super cheap store brand in a bag.  It cost me 98¢, had no added salt or sugar, and it had no preservatives.  Win!
  • 1 cup dried fruit.  I used bananas, apples, and blueberries simply because that's what was hot off the dehydrator this week.  Use any combination you'd like.
  • 1/2 cup nuts.  I used a mix.
  • 2 TBSP ground flax seeds
  • 2 TBSP wheat germ
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1 cup almond butter.  I made my own from raw almonds.  I suppose you could roast them first if you wanted.  I suppose you could even buy the kind in the jar; though you know I don't recommend that!
  • 3 TBSP unsweetened apple sauce
Directions:

1.  Mix the cereal, fruit, nuts, cinnamon, wheat germ, and ground flax in a large bowl.


2.  Put the honey, almond butter, and apple sauce into a microwave safe bowl, and heat for a minute and a half.

3.  Mix very well, until almond butter is melted and incorporated and pour over cereal/fruit mixture.


4.  Stir very well, making sure all of the cereal mixture is coated.


5.  Press cereal firmly into a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.  I tried using a spatula, but it just didn't work.  I ended up getting my hands wet and pressing it into the dish with my hands.



6.  Stick in freezer for 30 minutes, and then cut into 15 bars.  Store refrigerated.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. holy cow I can't wait to try this. buying more puffed wheat tomorrow!!!
    I just *happened* to surf over to your site just now for the first time- YAY! yay for your story and yay for the recipes I can't wait to start ganking from you! : ) hehe
    I am on the road to health as well, from the impetus of disease instead of weight- but the goal is the same! Get this body strong and happy! Also am raising 2 little girls (6 & 3) and these bars sound like the *perfect* snamck for them!!! Healthy, crunchy, easy to grab-n-go - perfection!! thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...