Saturday, April 17, 2010

Overnight Oats

My love of oatmeal is no secret.  I stick it into anything I can--smoothies, breads, muffins, breakfast bars.  I like it in its traditional form--hot and steaming in a bowl for breakfast.  Aside from being yummy, it's just so good for you. 

Over at katheats is a post about overnight oats.  Somehow I had never heard of this before, and I had such an Ahah! moment.  I have no idea why I've never thought of this, because it's so easy, totally fits in with the desire to eat raw, and it's good!  Basically it's just soaking rolled oats in liquid and yogurt (and whatever add ins or spices you desire) overnight and having a bowl of yummy filling health ready for breakfast the next morning.  Head on over to Kath's blog for the complete instructions.

My overnight oats included:
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup lite soy milk
  • 1/2 cup fat free soy yogurt
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • Dash of allspice
  • Splash of vanilla
I topped it with:
  • 1 TBSP organic honey
  • 1 TBSP cashew butter (that I made myself!)
I figured they'd be good, because they're oats after all, but I didn't know how good.  The yogurt made them so creamy and so tangy.  I'm definitely doing this again.  Oatmeal for breakfast just left the realm of winter months!

2 comments:

  1. Chris is going to love this one, I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure which one I want to try first. This or breakfast quinoa. We usually have smoothies for breakfast so I can see this oatmeal being a great lunch food.

    We're on a superfood kick so our smoothie recipe is: 2 Tbsp flax seed soaked with 2 tbsp goji berries over night. Put in blender. Add spirulina, maca, hemp powder, and cacao nibs. Blend the bejeezus out of it (until smooth). Add whatever fruit you have. I top with slivered almonds, macadamia nuts and coconut (eating a smoothie everyday can be boring after awhile so I jazz it up with toppings and to add texture). It takes a little time to get used to the color/flavor of spirulina but the health benefits for vegetarians is immense (and great source of protein). Amazon has great prices for the superfoods.

    Great blog btw. Love the recipes and the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...