Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Healthy, Gluten Free Crackers

These crackers aren't so much a cracker in the thin, crispy sense.  They are thicker, chewier, heartier, with a slight crisp around the edges, and they are oh so good.  They're kind of a crackery/bready/cakey texture.  They're wonderful for the spreading of hummus or baba ghanouj.  They're fantastic as a side for soup.  Rolled thicker and cut larger, they make a good flat bread for sandwiches.  They're also pretty darned good just by themselves.  Not that I know this from experience, because I ate half a dozen of them all by myself or anything.

This recipe is a mash up of the (never home)maker's version and the Oh She Glows version, spiced to match my preferences.  Both of those blogs are amazing, and if you don't follow them, you probably should!  I've learned so much from them both.  Anyway, these crackers are also gluten free and vegan.  Win all the way around here!

This recipe offers one last advantage.  It's a way to use up leftovers.  There tends to be both left over quinoa and left over rice pretty often around here.  Unfortunately, today I had neither, so I actually had to cook!

Healthy, Gluten Free Crackers

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
  • 1/4 cup ground flax
  • 1 TBSP water
  • 2 TBSP nutritional yeast
  • 1 TBSP thyme
  • 1 TBSP oregano
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1 tsp tahini
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp garlic, finely minced

Directions:

1.  Cook rice and quinoa in separate pots.

2.  Cool completely.

Because I was very anxious to make these, I just dumped them both into the bowl of the food processor and shoved it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.

3.  Preheat oven to 350°.

4.  Put all ingredients into bowl of food processor and process until well mixed.

Don't worry when it's not dough-like.  It should look like this.

5.  Dump mixture onto a greased cookie sheet.

6.  Flatten and shape the dough with wet hands.


7.  Cover with plastic wrap and roll with rolling pin to help even out the thickness and smooth the tops.  Don't worry about trying to roll it thin.  These AREN'T supposed to be thin little crackers. However, if you want to work on rolling them thin, they will bake up crispier.


8.  Use a pizza cutter to slice into desired shapes.


9.  Bake 15 minutes, and then carefully flip the crackers over.

10.  Bake 15 to 25 minutes more, until golden.  Watch very carefully after 30 minutes so they won't burn.

11.  Cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet.  They will further firm up while cooling.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I've got to try my hand at gluten free crackers one of these days. I really am not a fan of too many of the store bought versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those look GREAT!

    I just found your blog and the first line I read about you "I love to eat, I hate to cook" got me hooked. That's me! I am also 40, also dealt with infertility (although I have subsequently adopted and couldn't have a more perfect kid for me!) but alas, I am "currently fat" not "formerly fat." If I lost 75 lbs I would be about 185 and would be ecstatic.

    Can you recommend like a "20 things every aspiring new vegan should have in their cupboard" or "a new vegan's first 3 grocery shopping trips" or something like that? SOmetimes I just wander around the store too overwhelmed to know what staples to have on hand. Then I get home to try a recipe only to find i have to go out again for some ingredients. I am a single working mom and the planning and extra cooking involved is difficult so I would love to stock up on the stuff that I'll use most.

    I actually have everything for these crackers except the tahini so i'm going....shopping LOL

    steph

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...