Friday, April 16, 2010

Quinoa Breakfast Porridge

I love quinoa.  It's one of those things I ate before I knew it was good for me.  Once upon a time, a long time ago, I spent a year living in the third world.  We didn't have a lot of food, and the food we did have was rice.  I grew rapidly sick of rice, and I couldn't eat it for a VERY long time after returning to the states.  Even now, 19 years later, while I can eat it again, I don't ever really want to eat it.  I love stir fries and other Asian dishes though, so I was thrilled when I discovered quinoa.  It makes a wonderful stand in for rice.  It's super easy to cook and so versatile.  It's good hot or cold, sweet or savory.

Quinoa also happens to be fantastic for you.  It's an ancient grain (though it's not technically a grain either), and it was a staple of the South American indigenous diet.  It was called the gold of the Incas.  Quinoa is high in protein.  Not only that, but it's a complete protein, which means it supplies all nine essential amino acids.  It's got a whole slew of health benefits.  I'll spare you the continued rhapsodizing about the wonders of quinoa, but if you'd like, you can read more about it HERE.

Anyway, this breakfast porridge was my first attempt at making quinoa as a main dish instead of a side dish and sweet instead of savory.  Not surprisingly, I loved it, and I've been eating it ever since.  You can, of course, change the liquids and the dried fruits to suit your own particular taste.

Quinoa Breakfast Porridge

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (uncooked) quinoa
  • 1 cup lite apple juice
  • 1 cup lite soy milk
  • Splash vanilla
  • Dash cinnamon
  • ¼ cup dried cranberries
  • ¼ cup dried blueberries
 Topping Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup (If additional sweetener is desired.  I don't sweeten mine; I think the apple juice and dried fruit provide plenty of sweetness.)
  • ¼ cup plain soy yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
  • 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
 Directions:
  1. Rinse and drain quinoa well.
  2. Add quinoa, apple juice, milk, cinnamon, and vanilla to medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
  3. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
  4. Simmer for ten minutes.
  5. Stir in cranberries and blueberries, cover.
  6. Continue simmering for ten more minutes, until all water is absorbed and quinoa is firm.
  7. While quinoa is simmering, toast nuts in oven at 350°, shaking every two minutes until evenly golden brown.  Time will depend on your oven and on how done you like the nuts.  I leave them in for about ten minutes.
  8. Spoon portion into bowl (recipe should make approximately four servings).
  9. Stir in maple syrup, if desired.
  10.   Top with yogurt and then nuts.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...