Friday, April 16, 2010

Eating Healthfully when Exhaustion Wins

There are days when I'm so bone-weary that I don't have the energy to prepare and cook anything for lunch.  I think I've mentioned before that I've got stage IV endometriosis, so I'm not talking your general run of the mill tired here.  I'm talking about the kind of tired where it's an effort to move my eyes in their sockets!  It would be so easy to grab some pre-packaged convenience foods on days like that, but it's those days when it's most important to eat well.  Eating poorly only makes me more tired and sluggish, and it's obviously not at all good for my health.

Today is one of those days.  I'm clawing my way through the fog today, after a mostly sleepless night.  I walked into the kitchen and actually semi-seriously considered  eating a bag of pretzels for lunch.  It would have been so easy.  And I'm so tired.  Thankfully my good sense won out.

A meal doesn't have to be lavish, or require much preparation, or have multiple ingredients to be a healthy meal.  It can be quick and simple and relatively preparation free.  Lunch for me today was a banana with a smear of Nutella, a pear, a serving of whole grain crackers, and an ounce of Monterey Jack cheese.  No cooking.  No real prep.  Healthy.  And I can congratulate myself for nourishing my tired body instead of feeding it a bag of salt and carbs!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I never thought about smearing nutella on banana ... that sounds sooo good right now. I was too tired/lazy to cook today too ... I am munching on a plain whole grain cereal as I type this. :)
    ~VL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...