Friday, April 9, 2010

Sprout Salad

Lunch time the day before grocery day can be a depressing prospect.  I looked around my kitchen and found 1/4 of a loaf of bread, half a tomato, a few spoonfuls of left over couscous, a bit of red cabbage, and some Grape Nuts cereal.  I was at a loss as to how to make lunch happen from those scant ingredients.  Luckily, thanks to my never ending sprout project, I actually managed to make a healthy and filling lunch from almost nothing.  I had two jars of a mixture of quinoa, red lentils, brown lentils, and mung beans sprouting.  Fortunately, they were done just in time.  The best part is that I used up everything left over instead of letting it go to waste.  You all know how I feel about wasting food!

Improvised Sprout Salad

Ingredients:
  • Handful coarsely chopped red cabbage
  • 1/4 cup cold Israeli couscous
  • 1/2 cup sprouts
  • 1/2 tomato, chopped
  • Olive oil
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Salt and pepper
Directions:
  1. Place everything but oil and vinegar into salad bowl.
  2. Lightly mist with olive oil.
  3. Add a few shakes of balsamic vinegar.
  4. Top with salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Stir it all up and eat!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this for lunch tomorrow! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this and it was great! A great way to use up all my dried legumes that's more summery than comforting, hot wintery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...