Monday, March 29, 2010

The Medicinal Smoothie

I've got stage IV endometriosis.  I do my best not to let this disease run my life, but some days it manages to land some really good punches.  Aside from the pain, those days also generally involve lots of nausea and  the need for some heavy duty prescription medications as well.  This creates something of a catch 22 type of situation.  When I'm that nauseated, the last thing in the world I want to do is eat.  However, I've got to get something into my stomach so that I can take my medication.  Medication of that caliber on an empty stomach only makes me sicker, and it generally doesn't stay there long enough to do any good anyway.  On days like this, I make what I call the Soothie Smoothie.  Yes, I do know that it's corny!

For this smoothie, you've got to get rid of the conventional ideas of what a smoothie is.  Nothing goes into the blender that isn't totally bland or specifically engineered to help with nausea.  No citrus, no dairy (if you use it), nothing that the stomach actually has to work at digesting.  Also, make sure that the ingredients aren't cold.  This is the one instance when I don't freeze my bananas first.  Room temperature is far easier on your flip-flopping stomach.

Soothie Smoothie

Ingredients:

  • 1 banana
  • Large handful fresh mint leaves
  • Medium to large knuckle fresh ginger, peeled
  • 1 1/2 -2 cups water
Directions:
  1. As always, blend the green stuff first.  So blend the mint and water until well mixed.
  2. Add ginger and blend well.  In fact, after you think it's well blended, blend it for a minute or so more!
  3. The banana goes in last.  Blend until incorporated.
This usually helps my stomach quite a bit.  Then I can get the meds in me and get on with living me life.  This smoothie is a real life saver sometimes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...