Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cheesy Cheddar Crackers

I found this recipe all over the internet, but as near as I can tell, it originated at Country Living.  These crackers are so good!  They are light and airy and not greasy at all.  They've got flaky pockets inside, kind of like goldfish crackers.  I cannot say enough good things about these crackers, and that's saying a lot, because I don't really like cheddar cheese.  I made them because my husband asked vehemently.  Several times.  I was pleasantly surprised.

 
The recipe says that you should roll these out directly onto the baking pan.  Well obviously, I don't have enough talent to do that.  I tried.  It went much better when I gave up and rolled them out on a floured counter top.  Also, I had never worked with chilled dough before, and I didn't expect it to be so hard to work with.  I wasn't able to get them quite as thin as they are supposed to be.  Some of them turned out very cracker-like, and others turned out more like tiny cheddar puff-pastries.  Interestingly enough, I liked the puff-pastry like ones the best.

 
So things I learned for next time: 
  1. Remove dough from refrigerator and let sit on counter top for about 20 minutes before rolling out. 
  2. Do not try to roll out without flouring surface first.
  3. Roll between parchment paper so that I can get them thinner.
  4. I need a bench scraper
  5. I could also use some little cookie cutters.
These are not a low calorie snack, but they are a good for you snack, and they're quite satisfying.  I did the math on the calorie count, because I'm anal that way.  They are not significantly less in calories than actual goldfish crackers; there are only four less calories in the home made version for the same serving size as in goldfish.  However, it's not about saving calories.  It's about not eating added crap that you don't need.  The home made version has FOUR ingredients.  The commercial version has those ingredients plus sunflower, canola, and soybean oil, annatto, autolyzed yeast, sugar, and monocalcium phosphate.  I don't need all of that stuff.  Heck, I don't even know what a lot of that stuff IS!

 
Cheesy Crackers

 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper (optional)
  • 4 TBSP cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
  • 3-4 TBSP water

 Directions:

 
1.  Pulse the flour with the salt and pepper in food processor

 
2.  Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

 
3.  Add grated cheese a little at a time until the mixture again resembles coarse meal.

 
4.  Pulse in 3 to 4 tablespoons of water, one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.

 
5.  Remove, wrap in plastic, and chill for 20 minutes or up to 24 hours.  (Leave for as long as you can, as well chilled dough puffs more in the oven.)

 

 
6.  Roll the dough out to 1/8th-inch thickness directly onto a baking sheet.

 
7.  Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut 1 inch squares.

 
8.  Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until crackers are golden brown.  Watch them closely after ten minutes.

 
(Note that these aren't uniform in size.  Or in shape.  My sixth grade shop teacher once told me that everything I cut looked like someone cross-eyed cut it.  Well, I'm not cross-eyed, but I am left handed!  THIS is why I could use some little cookie cutters.)

 
 9.  Remove from oven and cool completely.

 
Store in an airtight container for up to one week or freeze.
These will NEVER last a week in this house!

 
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. my picky boy loves cheesy crackers - I may have to see if I can create a gluten-free version of these. Thanks for the start :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...