Thursday, November 3, 2011

Thai Peanut Salad with Marinated Tempeh

Let me just say, right up front, that there's NOTHING authentically Thai about this salad at all.  I just gave it this name, because I marinated the tempeh in the sauce from my Sesame Peanut Noodles.  However, authentic or not, it was mighty tasty and very filling.  It made for a great post workout lunch, because I was starving!


Thai Peanut Salad with Marinated Tempeh


Ingredients:

  • 1/2 block tempeh of choice, cubed.  I use Trader Joe's 3 grain tempeh
  • Peanut sauce from this recipe, or your favorite jarred variety
  • 2 cups mixed leafy greens
  • 1/2 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  • 1 large carrot or six baby carrots, sliced into matchsticks
  • 1/2 granny smith apple, diced
  • 1/8 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
  • Sesame oil
  • Rice Vinegar


Directions:

  1. Place tempeh in small covered container with marinade  (if you like, you can steam it first.  I hear that gets rid of some of the bitterness.  I don't taste the bitterness at all, so I skip that step).  Let it soak for several hours.  I put mine in before I left for the gym and had it for lunch when I returned.
  2. Put a scant amount of sesame oil in a heavy bottomed pan and cook tempeh over medium heat to desired doneness.  I like mine kinda crunchy on the outside.
  3. While tempeh cooks, prepare and plate your vegetables.
  4. Place tempeh on salad and top with dry roasted peanuts.
  5. Dress with a drizzle of sesame oil and rice vinegar to taste.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I'll take any Tempeh ideas. I love it but getting it to go from flavorless brink to tasty is difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...