Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Easy Cheddar Biscuits

I've never much liked traditional biscuits.  They are too heavy and too dense and too salty for my tastes.  I think it's all that shortening.  I've rather got a thing against shortening anyway, even when it's vegetable shortening.  Let's just call it an irrational prejudice and move on.

The only biscuits that I ever even remotely liked were the garlic cheese biscuits at Red Lobster.  They were lighter, and they did have the whole garlic thing going for them!  Needless to say, I don't eat there anymore, so it's been a long time since I've consumed a biscuit.

These are different.  They don't have any shortening or butter.  They are way less salty than your traditional biscuit, and they aren't nearly as dense, because they don't have to be rolled out and cut into shapes.  This is a simple drop biscuit with a surprise ingredient.

Easy Cheddar Biscuits

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • 2 TBSP mayo  (I used light Miracle Whip, because that's what we had.  I don't eat mayo, but this is what Drew keeps on hand.)
Directions:

1.  In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cheese. 

2.  Stir in milk and mayo until just moistened.  Don't overwork!


3.  Fill five greased/sprayed muffin cups 2/3 full. 

4.  Fill empty muffin cup(s) 1/2 full with water.


5.  Bake in a 425° oven for 18-20 minutes, until golden.



Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Those last 2 pics really made my mouth water....so now I have to make 'em!! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...