Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Better Than Oatmeal?

Impossible you say?  That's what I said too, until I tried this oat, rye, barley, and wheat mixture. I bought it on a whim at Trader Joe's.  I went in for THREE items, and I came out with two bags stuffed full, and $54.00 poorer.  Somehow that always happens to me in Trader Joe's.  But I digress...  This bowl of hot grain goodness was creamy and chewy all at once.  It was just slightly sweet, and so amazing.
  • 1/2 cup organic multi-grain cereal
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 large banana
  • Extra dollop Greek yogurt for topping
  • Few chocolate peanut butter chips
Directions:
  1. Place multi-grain cereal, coconut milk, and Greek yogurt into container with lid.
  2. Stir well, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Next morning, slice banana into medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until it begins to melt and caramelize.
  4. Add soaked grains and 1 cup water to sauce pan, and cook until boiling.
  5. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for three to five minutes more, until desired creaminess is achieved.
  6. Let cereal sit in bowl for a minute before serving.
  7. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a few chocolate peanut butter chips.

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...