Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Garbage Pail Vegetable Broth

Oh my gosh you guys.  I am SO behind.  I've got 14 recipes ready to be posted (and those are for big people.  I've got three baby recipes ready to go, as well), but I just can't find the time.  First I had strep; then the baby had croup; then I had bronchitis, and then it was the holidays.  There are days when I considered myself lucky to have time to get dressed and even luckier if I managed to take a shower.  At this rate you're going to be getting Fall recipes this Summer!

Here's one that's quick and easy though, and it's REALLY economical.  I've always called the Vegetable Butt Broth, but I figured maybe I should revamp the name if I was going to put it out there on the internet.  I'm not sure that this is any better, actually, but it's far more appetizing than it sounds.

When I clean my vegetables, I never throw away the parts that most people consider garbage.  I keep the celery leaves, the tops of red, yellow, and orange peppers (but never green; I loathe green peppers), carrot peels, potato and sweet potato peels (but sure to clean them very well first), zucchini ends, outter cabbage leaves that are a little wilty, pieces of squash not quite big enough to roast, the ends of tomatoes, the thin outter rings of the onion, and anything else I happen to be using at the time.  I also save vegetables that are about to go bad and won't be used before they turn.  I keep a big bag in the freezer, and just throw all of this stuff in it as I have it.  When the bag is full, I make veggie broth.  This is far more economical than buying pre-made broth; it has far less sodium, and it also costs less than going out to buy veggies to make your own.


Method:


  • Throw all of your frozen veggie scraps into a large stock pot.
  • Add water almost to top of pot.
  • You can add salt if you wish, but I prefer not to.  One of the huge advantages of making your own is that you don't get the crapton of sodium that comes with ready made varieties.  It's better to add salt to your personal taste when it comes time to use the broth in a recipe.
  • Bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
  • Scoop some of the liquid and several large spoonfuls of the vegetables into a blender, and blend the heck out of it.  This makes for a richer, heartier broth.
  • Add blended veggies back to pot and simmer for another 30 minutes.
  • Strain through fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth.  You may want to do this several times.
  • I let mine cool completely, and then I freeze it in standard ice cube trays and store in big Ziploc bags in the freezer to use as needed.  Four cubes = approximately 1/4 cup.

When I made my last batch, I used some of it to make Garbage Pail Soup.  There's no recipe, because it's a use what you have kind of thing.  I threw in what grains and legumes we had with a few veggies and a handful of orzo and I spiced it with nutmeg and curry.  I cooked it until the lentils totally broke down so that they thickened the soup but you couldn't tell they were there.  I told the kiddo it was Pasta Soup, and he happily ate three bowls, even though he "hates" lentils.

Right now I've got some creamy roasted tomato, coconut soup simmering on the stove.  There will be a recipe for that one, assuming it tastes as good as it smells.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Beberapa Cheat Menang Untuk Bermain Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online Klik Di Sini

    Agen Sabung Ayam Online Terbaik Dan Juga Terpercaya http://www.bakarayam.co

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    https://ayambakar33033.wordpress.com/2018/06/21/lebih-dari-satu-ciri-memaparkan-ayam-bangkok-aduan-super-yg-menakutkan/

    http://bakarayam330033.blogspot.com/2018/07/cara-dalam-menundukkan-sabung-ayam-juara.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...